Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If turbo tax limits me to five characters spaces for my pin number, will not accept a sixth number, how do I add the sixth space?

How can I get the program to take a sixth number when e-filing, currently the program will only allow for a five digit pin .
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If turbo tax limits me to five characters spaces for my pin number, will not accept a sixth number, how do I add the sixth space?

You are confusing the five and six digit pin.  Here are directions for your six digit pin

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/add-remove-6-di...

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, there are two separate PIN numbers that may be on your tax return. If your PIN has six digits, it's an IP PIN. Here's where to enter it:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online.
  2. Select Other Tax Situations. 
  3. Select Start or Update to the right of Identity Protection PIN.
  4. Answer the first question Yes.
  5. Select  Add to the right of your name.
  6. Enter the number on the next screen. 
  7. Continue your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
epetela

What if I am using TurboTax on my personal computer how do I update the PIN to accept 6 characters? 

If you have a 6 digit PIN issued to you by the IRS you need to enter it in order to e-file.  Go to Federal>Other Tax Situations>Other Return Info>Identity Protection PIN and enter the six-digit PIN.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies