Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null36

I am trying to claim income received on a 1099-Misc for incentive pay and turbo tax is treating it as self employment. IRS website says this isn't self employment, how do I put this info in turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichaelDC

I am trying to claim income received on a 1099-Misc for incentive pay and turbo tax is treating it as self employment. IRS website says this isn't self employment, how do I put this info in turbotax?

If this is a SPIFF, it does not have to be reported on Schedule C. A manufacturer's incentive payment, commonly called a "spiff" in the auto industry, is a payment for a goal not paid by your employer.  For example, if you work for a Chevrolet dealer and receive a bonus from GM (not the dealer) for selling a car, it is a "spiff."

If it is paid by your employer, it may be reported on Form 1099-MISC, box 7 (Non-Employee Compensation). This situation would require a Schedule C.

Generally, enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as presented on the paper form. If it requires a Schedule C, TurboTax will create one.

To enter a SPIFF with a 1099-MISC:

While in your return, type “1099-misc” in the Search box and then select the “Jump to” link. This will take you directly to the section where you can enter your 1099-MISC.

On the  follow-up screen,  enter SPIFF in the blank box, then on the next screen,  on the drop down list, check “This was a Manufacturer's incentive payment”

This will put it on line 21 of form 1040

To enter a SPIFF without a 1099-MISC:

·         Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)

·         Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)

·         Click "I'll choose what I work on."

·         On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."

·         Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."

·         On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."

·         The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.

·         On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.

·         On the next screen click Done.

*SPIFF (Special Performance Incentives for Field Force)  payments reported on Form 1099MISC; (1) are not treated as wages, (2) are not subject to federal income tax withholding, social security, Medicare, or federal unemployment tax, and (3) are not considered to be self employment income and, therefore, are not subject to self employment tax. Box 3 of the 1099-misc is the correct place for a SPIFF to be reported. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3204.pdf

null36

If you put in the amount in block 7 and then type SPIFF in the block on the next page then click manufacture incentive on the last page it correctly puts it on line 21.  It took awhile but I finally figured out the correct method.
MichaelDC

Well done! Didn't occur from the question that it was a spiff. Will update the answer.
Zebs

This is exactly the problem I am having. Would you please go into it a little more in detail? I'm trying to understand what you mean on the next page. I am trying to fill it into the forms because just running through Turbo Tax questions it keeps taking me to a form C. I have used Turbo Tax because they pretty much used to idiot proof it for people like myself that are not very good in this area. 

Thank you for your help & time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies