nannie61

If the grandmother is getting paid to babysit her grandchild, do the parents of the child have to submit a form 1099 MISC?

I have the grandmother's social security, so could I forgo issuing a 1099 MISC as long as the grandmother claims income paid to her.

Ashby

Yes, you can forego the 1099 because the grandmother is not being paid in the course of the payer's trade or business.

I assume this money paid is being used to claim the dependent care credit on the parents' tax return. If so, grandmother will need to report the self-employment income on her return as well.

If not, this income could be considered a gift to the grandmother and not reported.

Ashby