• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nannie61
Returning Member

If the grandmother is getting paid to babysit her grandchild, do the parents of the child have to submit a form 1099 MISC?

I have the grandmother's social security, so could I forgo issuing a 1099 MISC as long as the grandmother claims income paid to her.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

If the grandmother is getting paid to babysit her grandchild, do the parents of the child have to submit a form 1099 MISC?

Yes, you can forego the 1099 because the grandmother is not being paid in the course of the payer's trade or business.

I assume this money paid is being used to claim the dependent care credit on the parents' tax return. If so, grandmother will need to report the self-employment income on her return as well.

If not, this income could be considered a gift to the grandmother and not reported.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ashby

Yes, you can forego the 1099 because the grandmother is not being paid in the course of the payer's trade or business.

I assume this money paid is being used to claim the dependent care credit on the parents' tax return. If so, grandmother will need to report the self-employment income on her return as well.

If not, this income could be considered a gift to the grandmother and not reported.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v