turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If someone filed one of my dependants and my me e-file was rejected so I mailed my return forms in,what is the next step I need to take? Will I get my refund back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If someone filed one of my dependants and my me e-file was rejected so I mailed my return forms in,what is the next step I need to take? Will I get my refund back?

If someone already claimed your dependents via their efile which is whys yours got rejected... once they receive your paper tax returns will audit you and the other person who claimed your dependent. you will most likely have to send papers proving they are dependents and the other person fraud by claiming them (like court documents, dependents school records (same address as you), etc). then IRS will give you your refund.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If someone already claimed your dependents via their efile which is whys yours got rejected... once they receive your paper tax returns will audit you and the other person who claimed your dependent. you will most likely have to send papers proving they are dependents and the other person fraud by claiming them (like court documents, dependents school records (same address as you), etc). then IRS will give you your refund.

Also this other person does not even have a job to claim taxes on my childre are going to school from my mother's address so our address will not be the same but I provide all living expenses and all financial expenses.

most likely they had someone else claim the children for them and will give them the money from the return. as long as your name is on their school information or you have court documents you will be fine.

No she actually claim the child herself thru a bogus tax agent

not sure how she did that if she doesn't work you have to have a W2, 1098 or 1099 to file  taxes. but as long as you have all the information when they audit you will get the return. it will just take a while.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies