Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If pay $1000/month to supplement my disabled son's family living expenses-car/loan payments, cell phones, cash. Don't live with me can't claim as dependents. Can I claim?

Son receives SSI but no earned income to qualify for child tax credits. He has 5 eligible children.  Can I claim since I provide so much support?  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If pay $1000/month to supplement my disabled son's family living expenses-car/loan payments, cell phones, cash. Don't live with me can't claim as dependents. Can I claim?

Probably not.  You would have to pay over half of their living expenses in order to claim them as a dependent.   This means, their total living expenses would need to be less than $24,000 a year if you are paying $1,000.  This would also include food, shelter, medical care, clothing, etc. 

To claim someone as a Qualifying Relative, they must be:

• Your child ( including step children, adoptive children and foster children) or a descendent of them
  • Your sibling (including half siblings) or a child of your sibling or a sibling-in-law
  • Your parent or grandparents, including step parents and in laws
  • Any other person that lived with you for the entire tax year
  • Not a qualifying child of another taxpayer
  • Someone that you provided over half of their support for during the tax year
  • Has less than $4,700 in income (not counting social security)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Maintaining a property that they live in would not be earned income. It sounds like you are giving them the money just because they need it, more as a gift, and not because you came to an agreement for him to perform services for you.  This is not taxable income for him.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Probably not.  You would have to pay over half of their living expenses in order to claim them as a dependent.   This means, their total living expenses would need to be less than $24,000 a year if you are paying $1,000.  This would also include food, shelter, medical care, clothing, etc. 

To claim someone as a Qualifying Relative, they must be:

• Your child ( including step children, adoptive children and foster children) or a descendent of them
  • Your sibling (including half siblings) or a child of your sibling or a sibling-in-law
  • Your parent or grandparents, including step parents and in laws
  • Any other person that lived with you for the entire tax year
  • Not a qualifying child of another taxpayer
  • Someone that you provided over half of their support for during the tax year
  • Has less than $4,700 in income (not counting social security)

Thank you, Vanessa - alternatively, can he claim my support as earned income?  They live in a house that I own and they pay the house payments, but of course I expect them to maintain the property in good condition.  Would I have had to issue a 1099 to him in the amount of all the payments I make on their behalf as if it is payment for services?  I so appreciate your help!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Maintaining a property that they live in would not be earned income. It sounds like you are giving them the money just because they need it, more as a gift, and not because you came to an agreement for him to perform services for you.  This is not taxable income for him.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies