Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my teenage daughter filed taxes separately, can I still claim her if she lived with me the whole year and I provided support?

My teenager worked and filed her own taxes. Can I claim my daughter as a dependent if my teenager lives with me the whole year and I provide support? Room and board, food, utilities, and other needs?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my teenage daughter filed taxes separately, can I still claim her if she lived with me the whole year and I provided support?

yes if all these tests are met since you met the other tests

you can claim her as a qualifying child if all these other tests are met
• if she's under 19 at the end of the tax year. 

• she hasn't provided over ½ of her own support (this would include tuition)

or you can claim her as a qualifying relative if all these tests are met
• her gross income for 2021 is less than $4,300
• you provided over ½ of her support
• she isn't a qualifying child of another taxpayer

note: if you can claim her, she must have indicated on her return that she could be claimed as a dependent.

if she didn't you won't be able to e-file if you claim her. in any case she'll need to amend her return

Did your teenager say on her own return that she cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent?   That is a very common mistake made by kids filing first tax returns.   If she did that, then you will not be able to e-file.   Your own return claiming her as your dependent has to be filed by mail.  And, if she filed incorrectly and said she cannot be claimed, she needs to amend her tax return.   If she got the $1400 recovery rebate credit she has to repay it.   Do not let her spend it.  Look over her Form 1040 and see if the box is checked that says she can be claimed as a dependent.  And make sure she does not have $1400 on line 30 of her tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies