Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my son is on SSI and I receive SSDI & SS how can I claim him now?

He lives with me since birth, his father passed away a few yrs ago.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If my son is on SSI and I receive SSDI & SS how can I claim him now?

It depends.  Here is a link to Publication 501, Table 5 (extracted below) that lists the tests to determine if he is your dependent child.  Since he is your child and I assume under the age of 19 and lived with you more than 1/2 the year, there is only one relevant test left and that is, did he provide more than 1/2 of his total support?  Here is a link to Publication 501, Worksheet 2 to help you calculate whether he provided over 1/2 of his total support. 

Only the part of his SSI that actually went toward his total support counts as his contribution.  However, if some of the SSI went to a savings account, for example, then it was not used for his total support.  

Assuming he did not provide over 1/2 of his total support. In the "My Info" section you will add a dependent.  You will be asked questions to determine if he passes the tests below.  If by your answers he does, TurboTax will include him as a dependent on your tax return.  Additionally, assuming you are unmarried and since you are paying to keep a home for a dependent child you would file as head of household. 

"1.  The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2.  The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly); (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly); or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

3.  The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.

4.  The child must not have provided more than half of the child’s own support for the year.

5.  The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid)"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies