Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If my ESPP is not on my W-2, but is on a 1099-MISC, do I select Yes or No here?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The compensation associated with the sale of the stock acquire via the ESPP should not be reported to you on a 1099-MISC, but since you're going to put that 1099-MISC in as income you might as well say "Yes."  (BTW, nobody really knows where "here" is.  I'm guessing that you're referring to the "Your Employer Stock Plan Results" page.)

Tom Young

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The compensation associated with the sale of the stock acquire via the ESPP should not be reported to you on a 1099-MISC, but since you're going to put that 1099-MISC in as income you might as well say "Yes."  (BTW, nobody really knows where "here" is.  I'm guessing that you're referring to the "Your Employer Stock Plan Results" page.)

Tom Young

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Tom. I figured that the page I was on would be tied to my question, but apparently it wasn't. Room for improvement, I suppose. But yes, here refers to the question about whether ESPP regular income is reported on my W2.

I did get a 1099-MISC from my former employer, but it's ~$28 higher than what TurboTax calculated, because it doesn't take into account the broker costs. I'm guessing that doesn't matter? I also don't want to leave off the 1099-MISC, since it does get reported to the IRS, so I guess I'll just eat the tax on that $28.

Since you know the amount on the 1099-MISC why don't you simply delete the trade and then re-enter it using the "regular" 1099-B entry form and just add the 1099-MISC amount to your out of pocket basis?  That gets your basis and your compensation perfectly in sync.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll give that a try, thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies