Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emilyjue0

If my daughter just e-filed, but she did not make the minimum income required, can she cancel her return? I am claiming her as a dependent.

Can she file an amendment with $0 income to cancel her return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If my daughter just e-filed, but she did not make the minimum income required, can she cancel her return? I am claiming her as a dependent.

No, she cannot cancel a return she just e-filed.    E-filing is like dropping an envelope in a U.S. mailbox --- you cannot get it back.   If the e-file is rejected she can change it and re-file.  If it is accepted, then she has to wait and amend it later to change the way she answered the question about whether she could be claimed as someone else's dependent.

You will have to file your own return that claims her as a dependent by mail.  You have been blocked from e-filing with her SSN on your return for this year, no matter how long you wait for her to amend.   Print, sign and mail your own return.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
emilyjue0

UPDATE: So my daughter received her federal and state refunds. Since she did not make the minimum income, does she amend with $0 income or just change her status to being claimed as a dependent? I already claimed her as a dependent on my return via mail.

Yes----all she needs to change is the answer to whether she can be claimed.   It is not going to affect her refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies