Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If it says UCE and a negative dollar amount -10,200 does it mean i'm getting money back? i am so confused about this whole unemployment return situation - thank you !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If it says UCE and a negative dollar amount -10,200 does it mean i'm getting money back? i am so confused about this whole unemployment return situation - thank you !

Yes, you'll probably get a refund for the $10,200 unemployment. 

• The up to $10,200 unemployment exclusion is reflected on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), Line 8, Other income with a description of UCE -10,200

Per IRS: If you filed a federal tax return, the IRS will refigure your taxes using the excluded unemployment compensation amount and adjust your account accordingly. The IRS will send any refund amount directly to you.

• Do not file an amended tax return.
  • The automatic refund will mean that many recipients of unemployment benefits who have already filed their returns for 2020 won’t have to take extra steps to reclaim the taxes they paid but no longer owe -- on as much as $10,200 of jobless benefits, for households with annual incomes less than $150,000. This expanded tax relief begins this year, starting for taxpayers filing returns after January 1, 2020.  

However, you may need to amend your state income tax return. See Do I need to amend my state return to update my unemployment?

Note: You may also need to amend your income tax return if you were not originally eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on your return, but now, because the $10,200 unemployment exclusion changed your income, you are eligible for the EITC. You would need to amend your return to claim that new credit. If you chose not to amend your return, you’d only get the additional unemployment benefits automatically from the IRS and would miss out on additional money you’d be eligible for.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Helen!! does it matter how much unemployment is used throughout the year (my job closed down for a year and a half) and as a single mother i had to claim, getting about 20,000 for the year. does that affect anything? because i know my refund dropped so much from using my unemployment!

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, it affects your refund by increasing it. If you got about $20,000 of unemployment pay, the $9,800 will be taxed and the $10,200 will not be taxed.

However, you may have to file an amended return for your state. See Do I need to amend my state return to update my unemployment?

You may also need to amend your income tax return if you were not originally eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on your return, but now, because the $10,200 unemployment exclusion changed your income, you are eligible for the EITC. You would need to amend your return to claim that new credit. If you chose not to amend your return, you’d only get the additional unemployment benefits automatically from the IRS and would miss out on additional money you’d be eligible for.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

heather. 

if it says Amending under your federal 2021 taxes, is that how much you are getting back? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies