Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I won a slot hand pay recently but they did not withhold taxes. Can I pay the estimated taxes 24% to the IRS anytime this year, or should I pay now, March 7, 2024?

Plus they did not give me a W2-G but instead gave me a pink slip.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If I won a slot hand pay recently but they did not withhold taxes. Can I pay the estimated taxes 24% to the IRS anytime this year, or should I pay now, March 7, 2024?

Nevada does not have a state income tax so you won't need to file a return there.

If, based on your situation, you believe that you are required to make estimated tax payments, you can make a payment at any time on the IRS website. See this TurboTax tips article for more information.

Gambling losses are only deductible if you itemize your deductions, and only up to the amount of gambling income reported. See this TurboTax tips article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

All three of these are IRS transcript codes.

The Transcript code is a ledger that documents your tax return and the status and actions being taken on your account.

• Transaction code 570 indicates that you'll have a delay. 
    • There is a hold on your account that's preventing the IRS from finalizing your refund.
  • IRS code 971 Is a request for information.
    • The IRS has asked you for additional information on an issue.
  • When code 846 appears, it is good news.
    • Your refund has been approved.
    • You will be receiving the payment soon. 

If you would like more detail please see the IRS Master File Codes

@rrosbor11 @Deano0082 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You would not receive a W2-G until next year when it is time to file taxes.

You do not have to pay the taxes today, but they are do when quarterly estimated tax payments are due.  For the first quarter that would be April 15th

You can pay directly via the IRS website which is the recommended way or you can pay by check.  Be sure to include your SSN on your check and the tax year. 

I had a question about paying estimated taxes after I won a hand pay on a slot machine last week, but I worded it wrong. They did not give me a W2-G nor withhold taxes. My question is, should  I pay the taxes right away as estimated taxes,  or can I wait till the end of this year? The lady said I would receive a W2-G next week. Also since it was in Nevada, and I don’t live there will I need to pay Nevada taxes for 2024?

Also why do I have to enter gambling losses when in the end I’ll take the personal deduction?

Reworded. 

I had a question about paying estimated taxes after I won a hand pay on a slot machine last week, but I worded it wrong. They did not give me a W2-G nor withhold taxes. My question is, should  I pay the taxes right away as estimated taxes,  or can I wait till the end of this year? The lady said I would receive a W2-G next week. Also since it was in Nevada, and I don’t live there will I need to pay Nevada taxes for 2024?

Also why do I have to enter gambling losses when in the end I’ll take the personal deduction?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Nevada does not have a state income tax so you won't need to file a return there.

If, based on your situation, you believe that you are required to make estimated tax payments, you can make a payment at any time on the IRS website. See this TurboTax tips article for more information.

Gambling losses are only deductible if you itemize your deductions, and only up to the amount of gambling income reported. See this TurboTax tips article for more information.

Thank you and all the community for advice. My taxes were held up by IRS even though I sent in early. 
First TC code 570 the TC 971 Then shortly after TC 846 👍🏻

Deano0082

What do all these codes refer to 

570?

971?

846?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

All three of these are IRS transcript codes.

The Transcript code is a ledger that documents your tax return and the status and actions being taken on your account.

• Transaction code 570 indicates that you'll have a delay. 
    • There is a hold on your account that's preventing the IRS from finalizing your refund.
  • IRS code 971 Is a request for information.
    • The IRS has asked you for additional information on an issue.
  • When code 846 appears, it is good news.
    • Your refund has been approved.
    • You will be receiving the payment soon. 

If you would like more detail please see the IRS Master File Codes

@rrosbor11 @Deano0082 

Thanks! 
I have the codes with dates, but was resolved before notice sent. 

Thank you! 
All is resolved, and 846th!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies