If I were to take my dependent off how will that effect my return?

I were to take my dependent off how would that effect my return?

We can’t see your return. Take the dependent off and see the results. 

We cannot see your return so we do not know if you claimed an adult or a child as a dependent.  Removing an adult dependent means losing the $500 credit for other dependents which could reduce your tax owed.  Removing a child as a dependent could mean losing several child-related credits such as child tax credit, childcare credit, earned income credit, education credit.....

Removing certain qualified dependents can also result in changing your filing status from Head of Household to Single.. so that will also affect you.

As suggested.....the only way to see how your refund or tax due is affected by removing a dependent is to go to My Info and delete the dependent to see what happens.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing