Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening NOW!!!

If I payed taxes on money I sent to take care of my boyfriend all year in jail should I claim that on my taxes or claim him as a dependent? Will it make a difference?

No.  You cannot claim your jailed BF as a dependent. He is not your dependent--you are not providing his support.  His support is being provided by the penal institution where he is serving time.  Money you are sending him is a gift.  Gifts to individuals are not deductible.  Sorry.