Solved: If I owed federal taxes for 2015, but I am getting a tax return for 2016, will the IRS deduct what is owed to me before sending my return?

If I owed federal taxes for 2015, but I am getting a tax return for 2016, will the IRS deduct what is owed to me before sending my return?

Generally yes. The IRS should deduct the balance due for 2015 from your refund for 2016 and send you the difference if there is one. If you owe more for 2015 then your refund for 2016, the IRS will send you a letter with the balance due. 

Thanks!