Solved: If I owed federal taxes for 2015, but I am getting a tax return for 2016, will the IRS deduct what is owed to me before sending my return?
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

If I owed federal taxes for 2015, but I am getting a tax return for 2016, will the IRS deduct what is owed to me before sending my return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

If I owed federal taxes for 2015, but I am getting a tax return for 2016, will the IRS deduct what is owed to me before sending my return?

Generally yes. The IRS should deduct the balance due for 2015 from your refund for 2016 and send you the difference if there is one. If you owe more for 2015 then your refund for 2016, the IRS will send you a letter with the balance due. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Generally yes. The IRS should deduct the balance due for 2015 from your refund for 2016 and send you the difference if there is one. If you owe more for 2015 then your refund for 2016, the IRS will send you a letter with the balance due. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks!
Privacy Settings