turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pufffy

If I make a loan withdrawal from my insurance policy,, will there be state and federal taxes taken out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I make a loan withdrawal from my insurance policy,, will there be state and federal taxes taken out?

You should contact your agent for that information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You should contact your agent for that information.

Carl
Level 15

Borrowed money is not your money, so you don't pay tax on money that is not yours. With a loan against life insurance proceeds, the only way it would become your money and thus taxable, would be if you did not pay it back as agreed. In some cases, if you die before paying it back, the unpaid balance may be taxable. If your state taxes income, they may see things different from the federal IRS. So you should seek information on that from your insurance provider "and" a tax pro in your local area. I would not expect your insurance provider to be that knowledgable on the tax front. But I would expect a tax pro to know the facts as they pertain to "your" life insurance policy, after they review the policy and the terms of the loan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies