Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sdc4
Level 2

If I file my tax extension (Form 4868) with one program, do I have to file my taxes with the same program?

I'm trying to file an extension (4868) for my partner and I, but I'm using Turbo Tax's Free File Program and it says that "Easy Extension is not supported in IRS Free File Program powered by TurboTax."

My question is, can I file my extension (4868) with the standard Turbo Tax and then go back and file my taxes on "IRS Free File Program powered by TurboTax"? Or just in general, if I file an extension on one program, do I have to use the SAME program to file my taxes later on?

The fact that TurboTax has two different programs is confusing. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If I file my tax extension (Form 4868) with one program, do I have to file my taxes with the same program?

No. You need to use the same program required to file an extension to complete your taxes. 

There are different levels of TurboTax based on taxpayer needs. If you start in the lowest level, TurboTax will tell you if and when your circumstances would require an upgrade.

For more information, see: How do I finish up in TurboTax after filing an extension?

@sdc4 

go to the IRS payments page where you can file for an extension right now  and make a payment ( $5.00 will do).

If you know you will owe you need to pay at least 90% of the tax due to avoid penalty

approval is automatic.

OR get the form and mail it in .

No tax software is required.

When you file there is a line for "payments made with request for extension of time"

Any tax software will be able to handle this even free software.

sdc4
Level 2

Thanks Kathryn. When I mentioned 2 different programs, I didn't mean the levels with the standard TT, I meant TurboTax and TurboTax IRS Free File.

So from information I've gathered, it means that I cannot file an extension with the TurboTax IRS Free File Program thus making it so that I have to file an extension with the standard TurboTax. Since I have to file my taxes with the same program that I filed my extension on, I have to do it all on TurboTax. TurboTax is free up until you have varying circumstances then it requires you to upgrade or you have to restart the whole return. These varying circumstances which I wouldn't have to pay for if I just used the TurboTax IRS Free File to begin with. Is that right? I would just like some clarification.

sdc4
Level 2

Thanks for your response  and help! I was just weary about mailing in the form since I know the IRS has been backed up for a bit because of Covid, and I worry about the integrity of mailing something in. I figured it would be better and easier to do it online, but it's starting to look like a hassle. If I know that I don't owe any money, my only options would be to 1) figure out a way to file an extension online or 2) mail in Form 4868, right?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies