Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlv0690

If I bought a house in oct but first payment due was december 1 how does that work to claim on taxs

Closed Oct 10 2018 but Did not have to pay anything until Dec 1 so no taxs were paid can I wait until 2019 to file home as then I would have paid taxs on it

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If I bought a house in oct but first payment due was december 1 how does that work to claim on taxs

You can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes you pay on your home. If you buy a home that late in the year, it is unlikely that the amounts would be sufficient to claim unless you had many other Itemized Deductions to add to them.

If you received a 1098 for interest, you would use that amount. You may have been assessed taxes on your closing statment. You can't add expenses for 2018 on your 2019 return. However, with the large increase of the Standard Deduction, many people find it more advantageous to stick with that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes you pay on your home. If you buy a home that late in the year, it is unlikely that the amounts would be sufficient to claim unless you had many other Itemized Deductions to add to them.

If you received a 1098 for interest, you would use that amount. You may have been assessed taxes on your closing statment. You can't add expenses for 2018 on your 2019 return. However, with the large increase of the Standard Deduction, many people find it more advantageous to stick with that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies