Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gze2021

If I am a nonres of ID active mil duty, why is turbotax making me fill out Credit for ID resident for IncTaxPaid to other state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I am a nonres of ID active mil duty, why is turbotax making me fill out Credit for ID resident for IncTaxPaid to other state?

OK...if you are in ID in the military, and your HOR is some other state?

You do not file an ID tax return at all, unless you had off-duty W-2 or Self-employed income in ID, or own a rental property/farm in ID that you get income from.....and even then, only as a non-resident.

________

Back in the My Info section

1) you do not indicate you were an ID resident at the end of the year...you use your HOR state, even if you are living in ID.  (Or you might use your State of Legal Residence (SLR) state if you changed your home state with a DD2058 at some time in the past)

2) you do NOT indicate you moved to ID from another state during 2022 if that is when you PCS'd there. Your HOR state is locked in as your Resident state, unless you changed it at some post with a DD2058.

Read:

What is my military state of residence? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I want to be sure I understand.

• You are active-duty military.
  • You are not an Idaho resident.

Did you get a W-2 for something other than your military pay.

• Depending on your Home of Record, you may owe tax in your home state.
  • If you did have a job, other than the military, it will be taxable in the non-resident state that you earned it in.
  • If this is the case, you would have to file a return in that state to get a refund or to get credit for taxes paid to another state.

The standard deduction in Idaho is the same as the federal.

• For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction is $12,950 in 2022.
  • For married couples filing jointly is $25,900.
  • If you were less, then these amounts you are due a refund.
  • If you exceed these amounts, you can claim taxes paid to another state on your home state taxes.

If this does not completely answer your question, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies