Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjjcc4906

If my son, a full time student, made $6230 in wages, can I claim him as a dependent?

When I answer the questions in Turbo Tax, he gets removed as a dependent if I say he made more than $4000.  I then have to add him separately as a student later on under education and it's not changing his non-dependent status.  I pay for most of his expenses including tuition, room and board, computer expenses, etc.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my son, a full time student, made $6230 in wages, can I claim him as a dependent?

If he is 24 or older , he can't be a dependent if he earns over $4050 even if he is a student.  

If he is 23 or less (as of 12/31/16) then he can be a dependent and you are in the wrong part of the interview. You need to say he lives with you all year (if he is away at school he counts as living with you).  Try deleting him as a dependent and then add him back with the correct "lives with" info.  Also double check his age and birthdate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If he is 24 or older , he can't be a dependent if he earns over $4050 even if he is a student.  

If he is 23 or less (as of 12/31/16) then he can be a dependent and you are in the wrong part of the interview. You need to say he lives with you all year (if he is away at school he counts as living with you).  Try deleting him as a dependent and then add him back with the correct "lives with" info.  Also double check his age and birthdate.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies