Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If daughter's return rejected for code R-0000194. is that because I included her on mine? she is a dependent

Her only income was $9000 for college grants.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If daughter's return rejected for code R-0000194. is that because I included her on mine? she is a dependent

Did you claim her as a dependent on your return?

If so, did you check the box "Someone can claim you as a dependent" on her return? 

In turbotax the "Someone can claim you as a dependent" is input under "Personal Info"  >  "You and your family".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Reject code R0000-194 has nothing to do with being claimed as a dependent. It means that a tax return has already been filed with your daughter's Social Security number as the taxpayer. Most likely either she already filed a tax return and is trying to file again, or she and you are both trying to file a tax return for her. College students sometimes file without consulting their parents, or don't realize that they have actually filed a tax return.

A less likely possibility is that someone else filed a tax return in your daughter's name. That could be identity theft, or someone could have made a mistake entering their Social Security number and happened to match your daughter's SSN.

If either you or your daughter (or someone else) already filed a return for her, then she has filed and there is nothing more to do unless the tax return that was filed is not correct. If someone else filed a return with your daughter's Social Security number, and you don 't know who filed it, she has to print her tax return and file it by mail. She will eventually get a letter from the IRS asking for information to straighten out the situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies