Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EdR60

If a dependent child files their own tax return should I claim them on my taxes?

The details of where I am confused are convoluted. But, I'll try. I have a daughter who was 17 last year, so I included her on my return as a dependent. I was pleasantly looking at a Refund. Continuing on with the process... In the Health section of my return through the online process, I had state that she received her own wages and filed her own tax return and the amount it said to input was her MAGI (from line 7) from her return, on which it puts me now in the OWE category. She had not taxable income because her standard deduction was higher than her AGI... but I have to put in her AGI which flipped me. Should I remove her from my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarkRo

If a dependent child files their own tax return should I claim them on my taxes?

If your child files their own return, you cannot claim them as a dependent on your return.   

To determine whether you should claim your child as a dependent, or whether they should file on their own, you can run two scenarios and determine which scenario gives you the best outcome.  

Scenario 1: Prepare your return with your daughter listed as your dependent to determine the financial outcome (whether you get a refund or owe).  Scenario 2: Prepare your return with your daughter NOT listed as a dependent and combine the financial outcome of your return with the financial outcome of your daughter's return.      Compare the outcomes of both scenarios to see which outcome yields the highest combined benefit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies