Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kjrdawson
Returning Member

Identity protection pin missing cause rejection of return but never got letter in mail and unableto use irs site to create account to retrieve it on the site what else can I do

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Identity protection pin missing cause rejection of return but never got letter in mail and unableto use irs site to create account to retrieve it on the site what else can I do

@Kjrdawson  wrote:  "Identity protection pin missing cause rejection of return but never got letter in mail and unableto use irs site to create account to retrieve it on the site what else can I do"

If you are required to use a 6-digit IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) and didn't get an IRS letter with the IP PIN, and if you can't use the IP PIN Retrieval Tool at the IRS website, (see link below) then that leaves 2 options.

You can try phoning the special IRS phone number for that Identity Protection unit at the IRS.  The phone number is displayed on the IRS page below.  If they can identify you adequately on the phone, they will postal mail you an IP PIN within 21 days.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

The phone number is in the section "How to get your IP PIN reissued."

I don't know if anyone will answer it or not.  It's possible they will, since that's a specialized unit.   I know the general IRS phone number is virtually unreachable due to Coronavirus slowdown, everyone phoning about stimulus checks, tax filing questions, etc.    But, hopefully, that specialized unit will still answer at that special number.  You may have to wait on-hold a long time.   I use a speaker phone so I can work on something else while waiting.

Without the IP PIN you won't be able to efile.  So the other option is to print, sign, date, and mail the return without the IP PIN.   That will delay the processing of your return and any refund (if applicable) since the IRS will have to review it more thoroughly by different methods to validate your identity to confirm that it's yours.

I have a similar problem. The account I set up at IRS couldn't verify my cellphone number, registered in my name at T-Mobile (!). Site says that it's not sending out paper copies of PIN by mail. Phone number is shut down until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

What happens to my rejected return that is "hanging in cyberspace" between Turbotax and the IRS? If I submit the paper copy with some other deductions that I found, will that cause a problem with the old version that is still unfiled, or will that electronic submission eventually be  automatically erased?

@ Qaldock75 wrote:

I have a similar problem. The account I set up at IRS couldn't verify my cellphone number, registered in my name at T-Mobile (!). Site says that it's not sending out paper copies of PIN by mail. Phone number is shut down until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

What happens to my rejected return that is "hanging in cyberspace" between Turbotax and the IRS? If I submit the paper copy with some other deductions that I found, will that cause a problem with the old version that is still unfiled, or will that electronic submission eventually be  automatically erased?

A rejected return that was efiled is considered to have never been filed.   If you received official word that your efiled return was rejected, then it not "hanging between TurboTax and the IRS."  It was refused by the IRS and in effect "bounced back" to TurboTax.   So if that's your situation, it has not been filed.   So you can still file it by another method, if you choose.   And if you need to edit it to add additional deductions, you can open the interview back up to work on the return before you change the filing method and print it for mailing.   You can make additions or other edits to a rejected return, no matter how you plan to resubmit it, since it hasn't been filed.   

If you used Online TurboTax, you can log into your account and see the efile status at the Tax Home page.

If an efile status shows "pending", however, then that status would be for a return that is still "hanging in cyberspace" (your term) between TurboTax and IRS.   Do not submit a second return if it shows "pending."

The IRS is currently not processing paper returns, but is storing them in bins and trailers.  At some point they will start processing them, so expect a long delay.  Plus if you paper mail the return without the IP PIN that will add to the delay as they will have to investigate to make sure it is from you.

If you file by mail, it's good to mail by a method that has tracking such as certified mail, priority mail, etc.

Mesquite Bean,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It was VERY helpful.

@Qaldock75 wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply. It was VERY helpful.

You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies