I worked in the USA with a J1 visa, when filing I ...

I worked in the USA with a J1 visa, when filing I set an address of the USA so the check would arrive there (I never stated that I am a US citizen), will I be in trouble?

The question is whether you are a non-resident alien.  More information is needed to see how you are classified and what you need to do. 

How did you prepare your return?   Did you use TurboTax to prepare a Form 1040? 

TurboTax can only prepare Form 1040 returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."  TurboTax cannot prepare returns for non-resident aliens, who must use a Form 1040NR/NR-EZ.   TurboTax has an affiliate partner that can prepare non-resident returns called Sprintax (one "t").

Some more info is required to determine how you are classified for tax purposes.  Please provide the following:

• What country are you from?
  • When did you first come to the USA, and how long are/were you here?
  • You already mentioned you were working under J1 visa.

Go ahead and answer those questions, and in the meantime I will ask someone familiar with international filing situations to advise you on what you will need to do.  It may not be tonight.

Also, if you filed a Form 1040, you may receive a $1200 economic stimulus payment as a deposit or check from the IRS/US Treasury, which will further complicate things.  Has that happened already?

The economic stimulus payment is for US citizens and US resident aliens.  Non-resident aliens do not qualify.  

The person I'm asking to help you can advise you on that as well. 

@ pk   Are you please able to assist this international filer when you are next in the forum?  Thanks!

@adrian-rosasm , following up from @mesquitebean  questions to you , please answer these  so we have all the information  to respond to you.

Generally, though  if you have used the  wrong form to file a return , you just have rectify that situation by filing a new and correct return -- there is no issue if it was a mistake and not willful dis-regard of the rules.