I worked in the USA with a J1 visa, when filing I ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I worked in the USA with a J1 visa, when filing I set an address of the USA so the check would arrive there (I never stated that I am a US citizen), will I be in trouble?

2 Replies
Level 15

I worked in the USA with a J1 visa, when filing I set an address of the USA so the check would arrive there (I never stated that I am a US citizen), will I be in trouble?

The question is whether you are a non-resident alien.  More information is needed to see how you are classified and what you need to do. 

How did you prepare your return?   Did you use TurboTax to prepare a Form 1040? 

TurboTax can only prepare Form 1040 returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."  TurboTax cannot prepare returns for non-resident aliens, who must use a Form 1040NR/NR-EZ.   TurboTax has an affiliate partner that can prepare non-resident returns called Sprintax (one "t").

Some more info is required to determine how you are classified for tax purposes.  Please provide the following:

• What country are you from?
  • When did you first come to the USA, and how long are/were you here?
  • You already mentioned you were working under J1 visa.

Go ahead and answer those questions, and in the meantime I will ask someone familiar with international filing situations to advise you on what you will need to do.  It may not be tonight.

Also, if you filed a Form 1040, you may receive a $1200 economic stimulus payment as a deposit or check from the IRS/US Treasury, which will further complicate things.  Has that happened already?

The economic stimulus payment is for US citizens and US resident aliens.  Non-resident aliens do not qualify.  

The person I'm asking to help you can advise you on that as well. 

@ pk   Are you please able to assist this international filer when you are next in the forum?  Thanks!

Level 12
Level 12

@adrian-rosasm , following up from @mesquitebean  questions to you , please answer these  so we have all the information  to respond to you.

Generally, though  if you have used the  wrong form to file a return , you just have rectify that situation by filing a new and correct return -- there is no issue if it was a mistake and not willful dis-regard of the rules.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings