Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was told to file for "non-filers relief". Anyone know what it is or how I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I was told to file for "non-filers relief". Anyone know what it is or how I do that?

This refers to the 2020 tax return for the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus payment) for those who where not being claimed as a dependent and were not required to file a 2020 tax return.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/time-is-running-out-irs-encourages-eligible-non-filers-in-2020-to-claim...

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Are you asking about the Recovery Rebates from tax years, 2020 and 2021?    IRS Reminder for Recovery Rebates    

Generally, to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit, a person must:

• Have been a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020.
  • Not have been a dependent of another taxpayer for 2020.
  • Have a Social Security number issued before the due date of the tax return that is valid for employment in the United States.

Generally, to claim the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit, a person must:

• Have been a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2021.
  • Not have been a dependent of another taxpayer for 2021.
  • Have a Social Security number issued by the due date of the tax return, claim a dependent who has a Social Security number issued by the due date of the tax return, or claim a dependent with an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number.

The 2020 RRC can be claimed for someone who died in 2020. The 2020 RRC and 2021 RRC can be claimed for someone who died in 2021 or later.

Filing deadlines if you haven't yet filed a tax return - The links below will take you to the software needed to file that year's tax return.  

To claim the:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies