Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a dog sitter for 2021 and 2022. In 2021 I made 5k and in 2022 I made 8k. I got for EIC in 2021 and didn't have owe taxes but now I owe over $1100, why?

I also had over $6k in medical expenses, but it only lowered state, not federal.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was a dog sitter for 2021 and 2022. In 2021 I made 5k and in 2022 I made 8k. I got for EIC in 2021 and didn't have owe taxes but now I owe over $1100, why?

The rules for EIC changed for 2022.

Earned Income Credit—-the rules are back to the “old” rules—

Those under 25 and over 65 without children are not eligible as they were uniquely in 2021.   And you cannot use your income from any earlier tax year to get the EIC for a 2022 return.  There is no “lookback” for 2022.  EIC for 2022 will be based on the income you earned by working in 2022.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

And.....medical expenses are not going to have an effect on your federal return if you were an independent contractor and had no tax withheld from which to receive a refund, for just one of the reasons.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The rules for EIC changed for 2022.

Earned Income Credit—-the rules are back to the “old” rules—

Those under 25 and over 65 without children are not eligible as they were uniquely in 2021.   And you cannot use your income from any earlier tax year to get the EIC for a 2022 return.  There is no “lookback” for 2022.  EIC for 2022 will be based on the income you earned by working in 2022.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

And.....medical expenses are not going to have an effect on your federal return if you were an independent contractor and had no tax withheld from which to receive a refund, for just one of the reasons.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2022—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding.  Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

2022 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $25,900  (65 or older + $1400 per spouse)

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $19,400  (65 or older +$1750)

Legally Blind + $1750

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies