taxnewbie1

I want to enter previous year energy credits (from 2017). The form only goes til '16. Is this a bug? And are door and windows counted together? The caps are different...

I'm using TurboTax 2018, so I assume that it should let me enter previous credits all the way up to 2017. The fact that it doesn't makes it look like something was missed during the annual update... 

What I also don't understand is why it applies a lifetime cap of $200 for combined door and window purchases, when it seems that doors should not have such a cap, https://www.efile.com/tax-credit/energy-credit/

rjs

As stated at the link that you posted, the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit ("Residential energy credit") cannot be claimed for 2018. It expired at the end of 2017 and has not been extended. TurboTax may have kept some leftover screens for it from 2017 in case it does get extended, but those screens will not be updated for 2018 unless the credit is extended. As of now, you cannot claim the credit, so don't bother trying to enter anything for it. If the credit does get extended for 2018, the rules could be different from previous years.

rjs