turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

york1129

I used TurboTax Premier (CD) for my federal & state taxes. My son made less than $33,000 last year. Can I file his federal & state taxes for free using the same software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I used TurboTax Premier (CD) for my federal & state taxes. My son made less than $33,000 last year. Can I file his federal & state taxes for free using the same software?

Federal Yes.

State? 

1)  only if he is using the same state as you are

and

2)  Only if that state is NY.

There is a $20 e-file fee for any desktop state tax e-filing (except NY)....and that goes up to $25 later in the filing season.

But you can print and mail in that state tax return without the e-file fee.

IF you and your son have similar names, please be sure to NOT use the default file save the first time yous ave his file....you might overwrite yours.  Use "Save-As" the first time you save his file, and give it a unique filename.  Later open and saves can just use the simple "Save" because it will already have its unique name.

(Please don't do it for him...sit down with him and prepare together)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Federal Yes.

State? 

1)  only if he is using the same state as you are

and

2)  Only if that state is NY.

There is a $20 e-file fee for any desktop state tax e-filing (except NY)....and that goes up to $25 later in the filing season.

But you can print and mail in that state tax return without the e-file fee.

IF you and your son have similar names, please be sure to NOT use the default file save the first time yous ave his file....you might overwrite yours.  Use "Save-As" the first time you save his file, and give it a unique filename.  Later open and saves can just use the simple "Save" because it will already have its unique name.

(Please don't do it for him...sit down with him and prepare together)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies