york1129

I used TurboTax Premier (CD) for my federal & state taxes. My son made less than $33,000 last year. Can I file his federal & state taxes for free using the same software?

SteamTrain

Federal Yes.

State? 

1)  only if he is using the same state as you are

and

2)  Only if that state is NY.

There is a $20 e-file fee for any desktop state tax e-filing (except NY)....and that goes up to $25 later in the filing season.

But you can print and mail in that state tax return without the e-file fee.

_________________________________

IF you and your son have similar names, please be sure to NOT use the default file save the first time yous ave his file....you might overwrite yours.  Use "Save-As" the first time you save his file, and give it a unique filename.  Later open and saves can just use the simple "Save" because it will already have its unique name.

(Please don't do it for him...sit down with him and prepare together)

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

Federal Yes.

State? 

and

2)  Only if that state is NY.

_________________________________