Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used TT2023 to prepare and file my tax returns as I have for decades. However, it is missing from my laptop. Can you help?

when i click on my return, and it opens, nothing is there.  It asks me to begin as if I've never used it before.  I do have a pdf I saved along with the .tax2023 version so I know I'm not nuts.  But nothing is on the .tax2023.  Freaking out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I used TT2023 to prepare and file my tax returns as I have for decades. However, it is missing from my laptop. Can you help?

The tag below your question says you are using TurboTax Online. If that's true, your return is not on your computer. You could have saved a PDF from TurboTax Online.

If you have the CD/Download TurboTax software installed, are you trying to open the return by clicking on the .tax2023 file in Windows? Don't do that. Start TurboTax, then open the return from within TurboTax.

Do you have more than one .tax2023 file on your computer? Could you be opening the wrong one? You might have saved your return in a different folder, or moved it to a different folder. Search your entire hard drive for *.tax2023.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The tag below your question says you are using TurboTax Online. If that's true, your return is not on your computer. You could have saved a PDF from TurboTax Online.

If you have the CD/Download TurboTax software installed, are you trying to open the return by clicking on the .tax2023 file in Windows? Don't do that. Start TurboTax, then open the return from within TurboTax.

Do you have more than one .tax2023 file on your computer? Could you be opening the wrong one? You might have saved your return in a different folder, or moved it to a different folder. Search your entire hard drive for *.tax2023.

If you are on Windows,  if you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  ~your name.tax2023.   That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.  

For Windows,

The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder. If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2023.   And check the Recycle Bin. For Windows 10 and 11  check the One Drive.   Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

For Windows I found this post.......

For some reason the update to Turbo Tax 2023 starts you back as if you have not started your 2023 taxes. If you open Turbo Tax 2023 again and browse for your file you will see in the bottom right hand part of the screen it only includes the 2022 extension. It does not give you an option to see 2023 tax files. Choose your 2022 tax return and say transfer then before saving click open return. It will ask you if you want to save the newly begun 2023 tax return, change the name on it so you don't copy over your 2023 return. After this, click open return and you can click on find a file and you will see now at the bottom right hand corner it does have the 2023 tax file option. It will take you to both you old file and renamed file. Select your original file and you will have the file you are looking for. Works for all 2023 files you have worked on but you will have to open and resave for them to pop up in the program.

Hi Champ.  Thanks so much for your reply.

I use the version that you download from TT.  Typically, I save the .tax version as well as a pdf of the filed return.

But, as I said, when i click to  open the .tax2023, it's blank.

I'm a Mac so not doing this in Windows.

however, opening .tax2023 from within TT did the trick.  

Whew, I owe you one!!  Thanks so very very much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies