Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mivelas

I use to ITIN now I got SSN

My wify now has SSN. So I cannot get the PIN from the irs for the e-filing. Does that mean that is going to be the first timefor her, so we should put 0 on the AGI?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies
MikeW
Intuit Alumni

According to the IRS.gov website, you should put 0 for her AGI. I have copied and pasted the text from the IRS website below.

"Question: If the taxpayer had an ITIN (IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) when they filed their 2013 tax return, but now have a SSN this filing season (TY2014), what Prior Year AGI amount should be used?

Answer: If the taxpayer had ITIN when they filed their 2013 tax return, but now have an SSN to file their 2014 tax return, they should use “0” (zero) as the Prior Year AGI amount."

Here is the direct link to the answer on the IRS website (scroll down to the second to last question): http://www.irs.gov/uac/FAQ%27s-for-Preparing-and-e-Filing-Your-Own-Tax-Return

I have tried this several times, and each time my return is rejected.

My wife immigrated to America in December 2013 and we married shortly after. We were married in 2013, and filed as married-filing jointly. She did not have a SSN at the time, so she had to apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). She has since received a SSN.

I've tried entering zero a few times and e-file my tax return, and each time I get a reply saying it was rejected.

I've also tried retrieving her PIN, and on the IRS website form it says you can enter the SSN or ITIN that was used for the 2013 filing. When I enter her ITIN it says it's not a valid number. I have the letter the IRS sent so I know what the number is, and I've tried several times.

I've also tried entering our total AGI (she didn't earn any money in 2013, so it would be the same as mine). That also didn't work.

If anyone who works at Intuit is reading this: please reach out to me because what your suggesting does not work. It would be great if I could talk to a real human being.

I suppose as a last resort I could print the tax return and file by mail, but I'm expecting a refund for a material amount of money, and I'd rather not delay receiving it further.

It often happens that there are problems efiling the year you switch from an ITIN to an SSN. It's not so much a problem of the software, but a problem of the efiling database of the IRS  (mainly when they update the data).

If entering Zero doesn't work, you should file on paper.

You should also inform the IRS of the switch to the SSN so they can combine the tax files.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Additional-ITIN-Information

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057

The correct address is Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operations
PO BOX 149342
Austin, TX,78714

That is the address for ITIN applications
badekumar

Any solution to this problem?

hi,

I had exactly same issue. My wife used to have ITIN but has SSN now. After reading multiple internet pages here is something that finally worked for us.  Just FYI she had already submitted change of ITIN to SSN form with IRS last year, so I guess the IRS database had already updated her ITIN and replaced it with her SSN against her name.

While filing taxes, where it asks for efile PIN, enter your/spouse PIN (this is for someone who always had SSN. The IRS site did allow me to generate the efile PIN for myself with 2014 form1040)

I left spouse section blank for the efile PIN although I did have the one with which we filed last year (since that PIN is associated with ITIN even after entering it multiple times it showed error) and not to mention that you are filing this years taxes with both SSN.  

Go the tab of alternate ways to verify or something. In there select the second tab which says something like filing taxes for first time and AGI is 0. Since the IRS had no record of her SSN last year, it will not show any AGI in spite of married filed jointly. so in my case our combined AGI for last year wont work in this column.

Hope this helps. It did help us. Our efile was finally accepted today after scratching our heads around this for almost a week. Just keeping fingers crossed that there is no audit because of this ITIN SSN issue.

Good luck!
rahul73

This is what I found on the IRS site, someone might find it useful.

If your client had an ITIN when they filed their Tax Year 2012 tax return, but now has a SSN to file their Tax Year 2013 tax return, they should use Zero (0) as the prior year AGI amount.

badekumar

Any solution to this problem?
rahul73

Yes the only option is to do a paper file this year. The IRS doesn't have the new SSN in there system so efile is not possible

Not true, efile IS possible! I did it!

It always depends when the SSN was issued. Sometimes it was enough time for the IRS to enter in the database, sometimes no. So first try to file with an AGI of zero, if that doesn't work, file on paper.

The .00 may work. but not often. You may just have to mail in your return. The system does not recognize ANY personal information fiiled from and ITIN going to an SSN. Plus it is a new SSN and that will take much longer to get a profile loaded into the system. 2015 is rejecting a lot of these returns. if you can get it to go thru your the lucky one

What it solved?  I have the same issue. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies