turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

louis1

I need to add CA Form 5805 (underpayment of estimated taxes) to my return, how do I do that in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I need to add CA Form 5805 (underpayment of estimated taxes) to my return, how do I do that in TurboTax?

To generate CA Form 5808, Underpayment of Estimated Taxes, please follow these steps:

1. If you are going through the interview for the CA return, but haven't yet completed it, you will come to a screen, Underpayment Penalty.  Click the Yes box
  2. Continue through the interview, enter the requested information.

1. If you have finished the CA interview, go back into your CA return. 
  2. On the screen Your 2018 California taxes are ready for us to check, click the Edit box next to Other Situations.
  3. In the Other situations section, click Start/Revisit next to Underpayment Penalty.
  4. Click Yes on the next screen and continue through the interview.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
louis1

I tried the "Other situations" screen but it does not have an "Underpayment Penalty" for my CA return.

Is there a way to verify that this 5808 is generated after going through the questions?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can verify that CA Form 5808 is part of your return using the following steps:

TurboTax Online

You can print or preview your return.    [Unless you are using TurboTax Free you will have to pay for the return before printing.]  To print your return:

1. Click on TaxTools > Print Center in the black bar at the side of your screen.
  2. On the TurboTax Print Center screen, click Print, save or preview this year's return.
  3. In the Choose your option: box, select Forms filed with the government (recommended).
  4. Click on the Print icon.  When the print screen comes up you can select the pages to be printed or just view them.

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar. 
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on Form 5808 in the California section.  
  3. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.

@williaster

"I tried the "Other situations" screen but it does not have an "Underpayment Penalty" for my CA return."

Exact same problem here. "Underpayment Penalty" doesn't exist on the "Other situations" screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies