turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nrrinald

I was told by SSA that my disability income would not be taxed. Is this true?

It appeared that this income was taxed so I am confused.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I think you misunderstood what SS said. When you receive Social Security Disability or regular Social Security benefits, some of it may be taxable. That is not new, it has been that way for decades. When 1/2 of your SS plus all of your other income (including tax exempt interest) is more than $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (married filing jointly), then up to 85% of your SS benefit becomes taxable. Turbotax calculates the taxable portion, if any automatically. All  you have to do is to enter the net benefit shown in Box 5 of your SSA-1099 and Turbotax does the rest.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I think you misunderstood what SS said. When you receive Social Security Disability or regular Social Security benefits, some of it may be taxable. That is not new, it has been that way for decades. When 1/2 of your SS plus all of your other income (including tax exempt interest) is more than $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (married filing jointly), then up to 85% of your SS benefit becomes taxable. Turbotax calculates the taxable portion, if any automatically. All  you have to do is to enter the net benefit shown in Box 5 of your SSA-1099 and Turbotax does the rest.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies