turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vernnifer

When is 1099-MISC box 7 not SE income? Confused about "sporadic activity."

My husband is employed full time as a policeman and provided off duty security sporadically over the winter (10 shifts total) to a private business that had a short term need. We received a 1099-MISC listing the income he earned in box 7. This was a one-time circumstance (he is not a security officer for hire). I've researched and still am unsure. Do I need to file a Schedule C or C-EZ? Or should I list it as "Other Income" (line 21) on my 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I think 10 shifts is probably too much to be considered sporadic.  He was engaged in providing services for hire, he did it for a profit, and he was basically freelancing in his usual line of work.

One of the key phrases is "engaged in a trade or business."  One could argue that if I helped my neighbor repair her backyard fence and she paid me $100, while I am normally a teacher and didn't even want the money, I was not "engaged in the trade or business" of fence repair or "handymanning" and even though I did provide a service for money, it was not self-employment.

Here, though, 10 shifts freelancing in his usual line of work does not sound like it would pass the IRS if audited.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I think 10 shifts is probably too much to be considered sporadic.  He was engaged in providing services for hire, he did it for a profit, and he was basically freelancing in his usual line of work.

One of the key phrases is "engaged in a trade or business."  One could argue that if I helped my neighbor repair her backyard fence and she paid me $100, while I am normally a teacher and didn't even want the money, I was not "engaged in the trade or business" of fence repair or "handymanning" and even though I did provide a service for money, it was not self-employment.

Here, though, 10 shifts freelancing in his usual line of work does not sound like it would pass the IRS if audited.

vernnifer

That is very helpful - thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies