Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

r-b3

I started my 2022 federal tax return and did not finish. i want to start over or continue my federal 2022 how do i do that

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I started my 2022 federal tax return and did not finish. i want to start over or continue my federal 2022 how do i do that

Online for the 2022 tax year is closed.

If you need to file a 2022 return, you need to use a desktop version of TurboTax (installed on a computer).

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products

You will need to download the .tax20yy file and switch to the Desktop program.

How to finish a return you started online
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2023 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2023.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open the .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

You have to print and mail prior year returns. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.

Then when you do file 2023 enter 0 for the 2022 AGI since you are filing 2022 late.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies