Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwyant20

I scheduled to pay my taxes owed in full on April 9, and it was never taken out of my account. Will I be charged a late fee if I try to pay manually now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I scheduled to pay my taxes owed in full on April 9, and it was never taken out of my account. Will I be charged a late fee if I try to pay manually now?

First look at the debit information you entered ... if it is correct then the IRS will eventually debit the account.  Sometimes the debit doesn't happen until they process the return and balance due returns have been pushed to the back of the line.  Since you did not get a bill yet for the missing payment this is most likely what is happening.    If you make a payment now then they may still do the debit then you will have to wait for them to refund the excess payment which could take months.  

First, make sure you actually filed your tax return. If you e-filed, there is a chance that it was rejected, which means it was never filed. Log into your account and check your status and see if there is a problem that you need to fix. You can resubmit the e-file return, or you can print it and file by mail. If your attempt to e-file your return was rejected, then you should make a payment now manually, And change your payment method in the program to “I will pay by mail” instead of direct debit before you transmit the return.

If you received confirmation that you e-filed, you should check your tax return to make sure that the bank account and routing numbers were correct. If the information was incorrect, then you should make a payment manually now.

To make a payment now, go to www.irs.gov/payments. Select “form 1040” and “2020” in the drop-down menu.

If you successfully e-file, and your bank account information is correct, you have a choice to either wait for the IRS to debit your account, or to make another payment manually now. If you make a payment now, there is a chance that the IRS will also process a debit when they process your tax return. If that happens, the IRS will eventually realize that you have paid twice, and they will mail you a refund for the overpayment, but this may take several months.

I’m sorry that I can’t be more specific. Whatever ends up happening, if the IRS does charge a penalty, you can apply for an abatement either for cause, or if this is your first time owing a penalty.  
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies