turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received unemployment for five months and worked the other seven. Do I add the unemployment with my wages for box 1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received unemployment for five months and worked the other seven. Do I add the unemployment with my wages for box 1.

No.  You enter the 1099-G separately.  Please see this:

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or pai... (intuit.com)

No.  Unemployment is not wages received from an employer.

Your state should have sent or will send a Form 1099-G for the unemployment received.

Enter unemployment compensation in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to unemployment compensation

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

No. TurboTax separates these two entries because the income is reported to you on different forms. The income must be reported exactly as you received it. The IRS has a copy of all government forms issued and will expect it to match what was reported.

To enter Unemployment specifically, do a search for 1099-G and use the Jump to link in the search results or scroll down in the Wages & Income section to Unemployment. Click Show More and Start. Enter Form 1099-G.

See this article for more details: Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies