Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pamhk19

I received disability for about 10 months las year, do I till need to file taxes? I also have one dependent

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I received disability for about 10 months las year, do I till need to file taxes? I also have one dependent

If you received social security, whether disability or regular SS benefits, and that is your ONLY income, you do not have to file unless you are filing Married separate. If filing Married Separate, you do have to file even if the social security was your only income.

If you are receiving disability payments from a private plan sponsored and paid for by your employer, you do have to file.  If you paid all the plan costs, you do not have to file.

If you have to file, you will claim your dependent/  If you only have nontaxable income and so do not have to file, it will not benefit you in any way to claim a  dependent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

SSDI ? An employer plan? Any other type of income?
Anita01

If you received social security, whether disability or regular SS benefits, and that is your ONLY income, you do not have to file unless you are filing Married separate. If filing Married Separate, you do have to file even if the social security was your only income.

If you are receiving disability payments from a private plan sponsored and paid for by your employer, you do have to file.  If you paid all the plan costs, you do not have to file.

If you have to file, you will claim your dependent/  If you only have nontaxable income and so do not have to file, it will not benefit you in any way to claim a  dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies