Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

722taxq

I received an e mail from Turbo Tax saying someone attempted to fill out a tax return using my information with a different account

The e mail says turbo tax is holding the tax return for 48 hours to verify it's mine or stop it
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I received an e mail from Turbo Tax saying someone attempted to fill out a tax return using my information with a different account

I received an email about a return with my information being on hold

TurboTax is committed to protecting your personal information. If we detect that your information is used in more than one account, we’ll notify you to make sure that you recognize the activity.

If you were notified that a tax return that contains your information is being filed and that the return is being placed on hold for 48 hours, this may be a signal that someone is trying to use your identity to file a tax return. The return has been placed on hold to give you an opportunity to cancel it if it doesn’t belong to you.

If you received this notification unexpectedly, or if you are not currently filing your taxes with TurboTax, it's important that you call TurboTax Customer Support at the number provided in your email. After the 48 hour period is over, TurboTax will transmit the return in accordance with IRS regulations.

Here are some other reasons you may have received this email:

• You have used TurboTax in the past and are using a different account this year. This can including moving from our Desktop product to our Online product.
  • You changed your filing status from last year, and for that reason, are filing with a different TurboTax account this year.
  • You have created multiple TurboTax accounts this year, or in prior years.

If you have not taken any of the actions noted above, it may indicate that someone is trying to use your information to file a tax return. Please contact us and one of our agents can assist you.

Learn more about how TurboTax safeguards your data.

You are asking from TT Live.  Did you ask your TT Live rep to file for you?  (Also, please do not use your User ID as your screen name on this public forum.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies