Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a W2C from my employer, they removed wages in Box 16 for the state of NY because I never lived nor worked there in 2023. Can I file this W2C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I received a W2C from my employer, they removed wages in Box 16 for the state of NY because I never lived nor worked there in 2023. Can I file this W2C?

Yes, however, how you file depends on the taxes withheld.  If there were no taxes withheld/paid to NY (no box 17 amounts original or corrected) and you have no other NY state income, then you don't need to file in NY; there will not be a NY W2 line (box 15) entered in TurboTax.  

If, however, there were taxes withheld/paid to NY (box 17) then you will need to file as NY nonresident to get those taxes refunded.  If that is the case you will need to enter the box 16 wages for NY from the original form in TurboTax as you can't enter taxes withheld from zero income. 

To generate the NY nonresident return, in the "My Info" section, scroll down to "Other state income" and answer "Yes" you made money in another state and select "NY" from the dropdown list.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies