turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a SSA-1099 after filing. It states if I earn more than $25k taxable wages it is taxable. Adjusted gross income is ~$16k, but taxable wages were ~$6k. Re-file?

I received a SSA-1099 form about a week after I filed. Total net benefits for the year in that form were $13,868. It states that if I earn more than $25,000 in taxable wages, the income I received from Social Security is taxable.

I worked a full-time job about two thirds of the year, and I attempted to start a business to sell stuff online. In my 1040, adjusted gross income was at $16,147 but taxable income (line 43) has $5747. A lot of deductions because I basically lost money in my business. 

If I count the adjusted gross income and the social security benefits, my yearly income is at $30,015. If I only count the taxable wages, my earnings are at $19,615.

Do I have to refile, and possibly pay more taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a SSA-1099 after filing. It states if I earn more than $25k taxable wages it is taxable. Adjusted gross income is ~$16k, but taxable wages were ~$6k. Re-file?

Yes, you will probably have to pay tax on some of your social security so you will have to amend your tax return.  The amendment will be available soon, so check back at turbotax.com and please ask if you have questions when preparing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Added more information, question from title is inaccurate. Please re-review. :(

Thanks for the additional information, unfortunately, yes the IRS does use the total income so you will have to amend your tax return.

Awesome, thanks for the help! 🙂 Amending my return now!

Yes, you will probably have to pay tax on some of your social security so you will have to amend your tax return.  The amendment will be available soon, so check back at turbotax.com and please ask if you have questions when preparing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Hello, thanks for the link. I'm stumped again when it's asking what are my taxable wages. Is it adjusted gross income, or the taxable wages from line 43?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies