Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wz0401
Returning Member

I received a settlement check for $150 followed by a 1099-MISC with $139.80 in Box 10 and now it keeps prompting me to generate a schedule C. I am not self-employed

When I went through the steps of completing the Schedule C it seemed to be asking a lot of questions that do not apply to me. I want to make sure I file correctly. Has anyone been able to figure this out?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I received a settlement check for $150 followed by a 1099-MISC with $139.80 in Box 10 and now it keeps prompting me to generate a schedule C. I am not self-employed

Box 10 is for lawyers to report their income. The program thinks you need to file a return as a lawyer. Delete that box 10 information from your form since you did not receive the money. 

I just saw your other post and offered more advice for how to input.  [Edited 5/7/2021 | 7:38 pm PST ]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
wz0401
Returning Member

Hi

I tried all the options listed and thought I had to move forward with my taxes that way, and submitted them. Should I now amend my taxes to delete Schedule C?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Because your payment was less than $400, there was no Self Employment tax so there is no change in your tax liability and no need to amend. Whew!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies