Solved: I received a form which showed no taxes withheld and I did not work or live in the US at all for 2016. Do I still need to file?

I received a form which showed no taxes withheld and I did not work or live in the US at all for 2016. Do I still need to file?

the form was a 1042-S

You will have to file a return, but if you were not present in the Us in 2016 and do not meet hte Substantial Presence test, you would need to file form 1040NR, which is not supported by Turbotax.

what is the income code in box 1? Were you in the US on a visa in the past or are you a permanent resident/citizen?

The code in box 1 is 15. I was on a visa in the past.

did you have take an early distribution of a pension account?

Yes.

OK. I was definitely not in the US at all for 2016 so I am assuming I would not meet the substantial presence test. Where would I get this form and would I be able to file online at all?

You can download it from the IRS website and would have to send it by regular mail.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/uac/form-1040nr-u-s-nonresident-alien-income-tax-return">https://www.irs.gov/uac...>

Thank you for your help!

One more thing, one of the copies of the form 1040-S says attach to state tax return I file. So do I also need to file another form for state?

no, since you weren't in the US at all, you do not need to file a state return

Thanks!