Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mc135

I received a 1099-R but I don't have the check

I received a 1099-R in the mail, but I never saw the check for it. It is from an retirement plan, and on Monday I plan to try and track down to see if I can get it reissued. However, do I still file it in my taxes if I never got the check/it is lost? And if I am able to get it reissued am I supposed to file it for this year or wait for next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why did you get the 1099R?  What code is in box 7?  Was it transferred or rolled over to another account?  Did you have a loan  you didn't pay back when you left?  Could be many reasons why you got a 1099R and didn't get the money.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  The 1099-R is required to be filed as income you received in 2023.  Unless the plan administrator will issue a corrected form you should report it, however when you call make sure of what they will do because if they will issue a correction, you may receive another 1099-R in 2024.  

Possible Scenario 2024: You report the 1099-R in 2023, they reissue the check, then send another 1099-R in 2024.  You can use the following step to remove the 1099-R in 2024 after you enter it in your return.

Other Miscellaneous Income:

1. Go to the Wages and Income  section of TurboTax
  2. Scroll to  Less Common Income > Select  Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  3. Select Other reportable Income > Enter a description (2023 1099R) and the amount as a negative (-2000)

@mc135 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies