Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g_ady

I received 1099 MISC for a fellowship, how do I report this without it being self employed? I tried to report it under other reportable income, but it states not to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I received 1099 MISC for a fellowship, how do I report this without it being self employed? I tried to report it under other reportable income, but it states not to.

You need to report the 1099-MISC income. However, fellowship Income is not subject to Social Security and Medicare (self-employment tax).

Since taxable fellowships have to be reported as wages, we want the amount to go to line 1 of the Form 1040. 

Here is how to enter your fellowship income in TurboTax:

• Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income section and click Show More
  • Click Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click Start next to Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099
  • Answer Yes on the Other Wages Received screen
  • Continue twice past Wages Earned as a Household Employee and Sick or Disability Pay
  • Answer Yes on the Any Other Earned Income screen
  • Select Other on the Enter Source of Other Earned Income screen
  • Enter the appropriate description and amount under the correct individual on the Any Other Earned Income screen
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MartinR

Thank you for your response. I am in the same situation as g_ady and followed your suggested steps and was able to report my fellowship income in less common income but now TurboTax is taking me into a loop at the review stage by which it takes me to the bellow step

"Check This Entry
Form 1099-MISC Worksheet (NNN University): A Link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place. Here's what to do: Go to "Federal" and then "Wages & Income". Select "Income from Form 1099-MISC." Make sure to complete all of the info in this area.

But when I finish inputting all info in the "wages & income",  "Income from Form 1099-MISC," it loops again into review and asks me to "Check this entry" again."

Any help with this issue will be most appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies