Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I read amazon review for 2018 Premier CD/Download eddition stating that "Not Ready -No mortgage interest or property tax pages". Should I wait to before purchasing this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I read amazon review for 2018 Premier CD/Download eddition stating that "Not Ready -No mortgage interest or property tax pages". Should I wait to before purchasing this?

The software is regularly updated automatically, assuming you are connected to the internet.

Most years, there are a few modules not quite ready on January 1.  This year is worse than usual because of the huge changes to the tax laws, plus the government shutdown is affecting the ability of the IRS to implement the changes.  But the program will be updated as soon as the IRS allows it.  (The IRS has to approve the final forms and instructions for each changed area of tax law, then they have to test and approve each software company's implementation.  The IRS also has to update their own computer systems to receive e-filed returns, and may only accept simple returns at first.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Up to you...you are expected to update the software regularly after you install it.  Many of the more complex forms may not be ready until late January, or even into February.   Once you buy and install it, the software updates are free anyhow, and usually come out on Wed or Thurs night, so a Friday update check is a good idea.

This is typical for the tax software every year.....and particularly this year with major changes being implemented.  Various fixes will be issued well into March  (and mostly minor flubs into June or July), but usually, the later fixes are for rarely-used operation issues...though a few can be important.  I would recommend to not bother to actually submit your final tax file until mid-March......but before ~5 April.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The software is regularly updated automatically, assuming you are connected to the internet.

Most years, there are a few modules not quite ready on January 1.  This year is worse than usual because of the huge changes to the tax laws, plus the government shutdown is affecting the ability of the IRS to implement the changes.  But the program will be updated as soon as the IRS allows it.  (The IRS has to approve the final forms and instructions for each changed area of tax law, then they have to test and approve each software company's implementation.  The IRS also has to update their own computer systems to receive e-filed returns, and may only accept simple returns at first.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies