Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased TT H&B for doing 2016 and wanted to know if there was anyway to get my Online data from 2015 to import in.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

I purchased TT H&B for doing 2016 and wanted to know if there was anyway to get my Online data from 2015 to import in.

Yes, you can transfer 2015 Online data into 2016 TurboTax Home & Business desktop.

If you have a copy of your 2015 Online return in .tax2015 data file format saved on your computer from last year, just follow these steps:

1. Open TurboTax 2016 and choose New Tax Return from the TurboTax File menu.
  • Don't open an existing return by clicking the "Continue" button.
  • When your 2015 tax file appears on the Good News screen, select it and click Transfer Return.
    • If you don't see last year's tax file, click Browse Files and in the new window select All Files (*.*) from the drop-down in the lower right corner. Then browse to wherever you stored your 2015 return and open it.
    • Still can't locate it? It might be on another computer. You'll need to move it to your current computer.

Wait for the Transfer Complete screen to appear, then click Continue to review the transferred information. You can also review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.

NOTE: Once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't revisit them. If you need to re-transfer, start fresh with a new return by following the steps above.

If you do not have a copy of last year’s tax file on your computer, use this workaround:

1. Go to turbotax.com and start a 2016 Online return using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2015 data over.
    2. In TurboTax Online, My Account, then click Tools, and then select Save your 2016 return to your computer.
    3. Browse to where you can easily find the saved file, such as your desktop.
    4. (Optional) Change the default name to something more meaningful, for example J Doe 2016 Tax Return.
    5. Click Save.

Now, open the .tax2016 file (which contains the transferred 2015 info) in TurboTax for Windows:

Open your TurboTax 2016 Home & Business desktop program.

1. From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
    2. Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file, and then click Open.
    3. (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the info that transferred over.

Notice: If you have dependents, you'll need to revisit the dependent topic to ensure their info transferred correctly.  You can revisit this by going to the Personal Info tab and clicking on You & Your Family.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
    PatriciaR

Yes, you can transfer 2015 Online data into 2016 TurboTax Home & Business desktop.

If you have a copy of your 2015 Online return in .tax2015 data file format saved on your computer from last year, just follow these steps:

1. Open TurboTax 2016 and choose New Tax Return from the TurboTax File menu.
    • Don't open an existing return by clicking the "Continue" button.
  • When your 2015 tax file appears on the Good News screen, select it and click Transfer Return.
    • If you don't see last year's tax file, click Browse Files and in the new window select All Files (*.*) from the drop-down in the lower right corner. Then browse to wherever you stored your 2015 return and open it.
    • Still can't locate it? It might be on another computer. You'll need to move it to your current computer.

Wait for the Transfer Complete screen to appear, then click Continue to review the transferred information. You can also review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.

NOTE: Once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't revisit them. If you need to re-transfer, start fresh with a new return by following the steps above.

If you do not have a copy of last year’s tax file on your computer, use this workaround:

1. Go to turbotax.com and start a 2016 Online return using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2015 data over.
    2. In TurboTax Online, My Account, then click Tools, and then select Save your 2016 return to your computer.
    3. Browse to where you can easily find the saved file, such as your desktop.
    4. (Optional) Change the default name to something more meaningful, for example J Doe 2016 Tax Return.
    5. Click Save.

Now, open the .tax2016 file (which contains the transferred 2015 info) in TurboTax for Windows:

Open your TurboTax 2016 Home & Business desktop program.

1. From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
    2. Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file, and then click Open.
    3. (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the info that transferred over.

Notice: If you have dependents, you'll need to revisit the dependent topic to ensure their info transferred correctly.  You can revisit this by going to the Personal Info tab and clicking on You & Your Family.  

I do not have the .tax2015 file and can not find a way to get it.

Then use the second way she posted.  By starting a new online 2016 return and transfer into that.  Then download the .tax2016 file.

Thanks that worked for me.
    message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies