Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid taxes on unemployment so how do I owe state taxes ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We cannot see your tax return.   We do not know what other income you received or if you had enough tax withheld from that income.  The usual reason for owing state tax is that you did not have enough withheld from your paychecks---or perhaps from your unemployment.  Check all of the data you entered and make sure you did not enter something incorrrectly.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you did not pay enough taxes on your unemployment during the year, you may have to pay additional taxes on it when you complete your tax return. The IRS, as well as most states, consider unemployment income as taxable income.

The difference between what your tax liability is and what you withheld is the amount you owe. Since you stated that you owe taxes, your tax bracket is higher than the tax  withheld on your unemployment. 

TurboTax has a great tool that can help you withhold the correct amount of tax on your income sources. Please see Tax Bracket Calculator for a better estimate on what should be withheld. 

@joseph-rodriguez 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It may be that you only had Federal (but not state) taxes withheld from your unemployment comp.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies