Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to provide proof that we electronically signed our tax return for 2023. I am being asked for a 8879 but if your intuit assistant is correct I didn't need one.

Refinancing our mortgage and need proof of our electronic signatures for 2023.  I have a printed copy of the return and don't find either an 8879 or a place where we input our PIN.  How can I provide this?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I need to provide proof that we electronically signed our tax return for 2023. I am being asked for a 8879 but if your intuit assistant is correct I didn't need one.

When you e-file your tax return, there is no physical signature on the Form 1040.  You "sign" electronically by entering your AGI or PIN.   If you entered a self-selected five digit PIN, it is not even on the form.  If you had an IRS-issued 6 digit PIN it is on the same section of the Form 1040 that says "Sign here"---all the way over on the right.

Form 8879 is not used with TurboTax.   When you use TT, you are filing a "self-prepared" tax return.   8879 is only used by a paid tax professional----if you used TT, you are not a paid tax professional.

You can provide the lender with a copy of your "electronic postmark" and if they want a "signed" copy of your Form 1040, then use a pen to sign it and keep them happy.  Unfortunately even though MILLIONS of people use software to prepare their own tax returns and e-file those returns, there are still lenders, college financial aid staffers, etc. who ask for "signed" tax returns.

ELECTRONIC POSTMARK

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/prove-e-filed-april-18...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you!  I just printed a copy and will sign and send it to them.  They are one of the institutions that want a physical signature..  Moving on.  Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies