I need to mail my state return but accidentally hit e-file and now it will not let me go back - I dont want to be chaged for efile, and mail it in.

If you want to change your filing method, click on the File menu at the top and go back through the Filing screens and change to File by Mail.  You may need to remove the payment method you previously choose when you were going to e-file.  

[Edited 04/9/19 5:55 EST]

Is that true for state e-filing? or only for Federal e-filing?  Turbotax wanted to charge me separate for filing state returns.

That is for the online version.  You appear to be using the Desktop CD/Download program which has a fee to efile state.  

Did you pay with a credit card or select to have it deducted from your refund?  If you have not actually filed it yet go back through the File tab slowly and read all the screens and watch what you click on.  

Thank you VolvoGirl and my apologies tax5018 - Updated answer above...There is an e-file fee in desktop but you should be able to change the filing method if you have not filed yet.