Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to file my late mother's '23 taxes. I'd like to use TurboTax. I've been filing her taxes for her due to dementia. Do I log in as her to get started or as myself?

I'm getting started really late on filing for my mom. I did file for an extension so I have till October 15th. 

I have been filing my mom's taxes for the last five years via Turbo Tax. I am her executor and DPoA. Before she became totally mentally incapacitated due to dementia, she gave me access to all her finances, and all her passwords and login info so I could take care of things for her. Now I need to file her final tax return and I don't know quite how to get started on Turbo Tax. 

I have been logging in as her up to now to file for her. I also have my own TurboTax account, though I've never filed with it. Do I log in to my account and designate that I'm filing for a deceased person, or do I log in as her and somehow indicate that? Thank you so much for any recommendations.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I need to file my late mother's '23 taxes. I'd like to use TurboTax. I've been filing her taxes for her due to dementia. Do I log in as her to get started or as myself?

You have to log in to your mother's account (log in "as her"). Near the beginning of the Your Info section there is a screen that asks "Do Any of These Apply?" Check the box that says "Passed away before filing this return" and enter the date of her death.

Your own TurboTax account has no connection with your mother's final return.

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies