Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emma-rey

I need to file my kid's taxes. The employer has her SSN wrong on the W2, but refuses to send a W2C. Do I just file it anyway n explain it to the IRS when they contact us?

I received the W2 for my kid's taxes. They got her SSN wrong on the W2, and they refuse to send a W2C. Do I just file it with what we have and just explain it to the IRS when they contact us? Is there something on turbotax online I can explain this when filing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I need to file my kid's taxes. The employer has her SSN wrong on the W2, but refuses to send a W2C. Do I just file it anyway n explain it to the IRS when they contact us?

No, do not file anyway.  There is not way to attach an explanation other than if you print and mail her return. According to the IRS, if you have an incorrect W-2 you should, "Call the IRS toll free at 800-829-1040 or make an appointment to visit an IRS taxpayer assistance center (TAC)"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've run into problems like this in the past.  You can attach extra pages to the return explaining the situation.  Believe it or not, it works.  I would acknowledge that you claim the erroneous W-2 as your child's, and also explain what's wrong with the SSN, as well as the employer's stance.  You might even include their communication to you stating that they won't fix it.

This looks like a good page to help you out:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/how-do-i-attach-an-explanatory-statement...

emma-rey

Hey thanks Vanessa. A TurboTax “expert” called me and did a video call. He told me to file it anyway. He thinks the IRS should be able to verify with other factors like address and DL. 

He then called (after I filed) and mentioned tax form 4852. He said I could mail it in now if I wanted. Or, just wait until the IRS mails correspondence to me saying it was wrong. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies